I am beyond excited to introduce to you our (new to us) adventure van which we’ve named Bessie. Dave and I have been on the hunt for the perfect vehicle that we are going to convert into an adventure van to travel in, starting with our 11,000 mile upcoming summer road trip. And last week, we found “the one” and Dave rolled her into our driveway decked with balloons just in time for my birthday. A perfect 40th birthday present for me! Isn’t a 15 passenger van what every girl wants for her birthday??
Converting A Passenger Van into Our Adventure Van
Once we make quick work of those minor repairs, we are going to start working on the fun stuff- making Bessie into a comfy home away from home to live in when we are on the road. We have a few things that must get completed prior to our summer trip. These are-
- Install a back hitch
- Build a Full Sized Platform Bunk in the Rear
- Install a Back Up Camera
After we are finished with this initial list, we will start on the following extra projects to make our adventure van even more comfortable-
- Screens so we can sleep with the windows down and the back doors open (this is what we’re thinking)
- Install an extra battery to power fans/heater and our computers
- Roof Rack
- Curtains for Privacy
- Built in Storage
- Build a Portable Awning (we LOVE this one)
- Install a Ventilation Fan (this post shows you how)
- Utilizing Solar Power (like this)
- DVD Player
We will be sharing our adventure van renovations with you as we do them. So wish us luck!
I can’t tell you how excited I am about finally having her. This has been a long time dream of mine and to me represents freedom to explore our beautiful country. We can’t wait to get started.